Wooden Flooring – a timeless trend!
Hardwood flooring usually comes in three varieties: strip, plank and parquet. The individual segments in wood strip flooring are usually about 1 ½- to 2 ¼-inches wide. Plank flooring strips are wider and parquet floors are composed of individual squares that make up a geometric pattern. A large variety of colors is available to choose from. If you are thinking about installing hardwood flooring at home first investigate the pros and cons.
The pros of hardwood flooring are:
- Easy Maintenance: Hardwood floors are durable and have stood the test of time. Homes that are more than 100 years old can still have the original flooring if they have been taken care of properly. They just need sweeping or vacuuming and an occasional cleaning with a wood floor cleaner.
- Value: Buyers are willing to pay much more for a house in DHA with hardwood floors. Houses with hardwood floors tend to sell faster than homes with wall-to-wall carpeting. Property experts consider hardwood flooring an upgrade but they don’t charge extra for carpet.
- Many Styles Available: Hardwood flooring works with all styles of decorating, from traditional to modern. It is available in several types of woods, such as oak, cherry and walnut, and can be sanded and stained to suit the home owner' s taste
- Cost: Wood floors are a costly option. The flooring must be installed over sub-flooring and installation is a bigger job than most homeowners can handle. Labor costs is also high.
- Needs Occasional Touch-up: In addition to installation, scuffed and scratched floors need to be refinished. The softer the wood, the easier it will scratch and tarnish. Hardwood floors in high traffic areas, especially when there are pets or children, will be prone to showing damage. Refinishing also creates dust from sanding and fumes.
- Noisy: Hardwood flooring can be noisy when walking across it, and can be a nuisance to your downstairs neighbors if you live in a rental home. Placing an area rug over the floor can help muffle the sound and provides added warmth to the room. Adding a rug is also a good idea for families with children or adults who are prone to falls, since it acts as a cushion.